Castles in Moonlight

Castles in Moonlight
Have plenty more castles!

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Next quilt top!

Do people still make new year's resolutions?  I try and sometimes it works!  One year I told myself to finish a quilt a month or I couldn't start another new one!  That cleared out the closet of UFO's that year!  It really helped.  So this year, I want to make a quilt top a month, and get the binding fabric and backing together with it.  Put it in a bag so it's ready to be basted and work on.  It may clear out some stash!

This one I had bought 3 jelly rolls...why would I do that with all the fabric I have already?  Well they are cut strips and I liked the colors...and it was on sale.  Sales do that to me.  And things that are cute get me every time!!!

Well, I tried to do the math and figure out if there was enough in the 3 rolls to make a queen size quilt top.  Not quite, but it seems that I do have more in those color ranges of blues, greens and greys.  I put in yellow and magenta as well as some checks. 

Here's the binding fabric and a backing.  I'll put them in a bag with a note on what the size is so I know what size batting to use.  I used to be able to remember a fabric was meant for binding on a quilt and left it in the stash.  Not anymore!  I have cut up several and then had to pick a different one for the binding. 

This is the car and trucks quilt top.  Coming along slowly.... It's all iron on, and many little pieces to each block.  Then you have to zig zag stitch around the edges of each piece.  Tedious to say the least!  And if the room is too  warm, then the iron on stuff gets gunky and makes the machine gum up.  Some days it has gone very easy.  Then like yesterday, every inch or so, it got stuck and the thread would break!  Yuck.
 
Some fabrics were thicker than others and those were easier to stitch through.  The white fabric is thinner, and it really being a pain to work on.  It is cute quilt for a boy.  Just keep in mind what you have to do to make it!
 
Terry got home on Monday evening.  So we will have our Christmas on Friday night.  I don't think I have been up until New Year's Eve in the last several years...so I'm just not worried about that.  The holidays are pushed on us by the merchants and tv shows.  Do we really have to have the Valentine candy out right next to the 50% off Christmas candy?  And you wonder why the people are getting obese. 
 
I used to read Woman's Day and other magazines like that when Mike was little.  What I couldn't understand was...they would have great recipes and then how to lose weight in the same issues.  So I mainly read quilting and art magazines.  And now they have fat quarters and jelly rolls.  Really?  Couldn't think of names that didn't have to do with food and body parts?  Ugh. 
 
I went to the sale over in Clinton Shop yesterday.  It will be closing after they sell off most of the fabric, books, patterns and kits.  One of the owners died suddenly before Christmas, so the store is going to close.  Go get some great fabric at very, very good prices!  They are open today and Saturday.  Then they will go through things again and be open next week for a couple of days.  Sorry to see this shop go. 
 
So?  What will you quilting resolutions be?  Finish that UFO that is still there?  Start something else?  Try working a series with the "what if's"?    Try a new technique or go to a different show? 
Let me know!
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment