Castles in Moonlight

Castles in Moonlight
Have plenty more castles!

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Quilt show eye candy!

The show is in Pigeon Forge and today is the last day it's open.  Well worth a trip there!!!  So here are just a few for you to see.  The quality of quilts this year was very, very good!!!  This one is a Hawaiian style one in the antique quilt section. 

The different areas were labeled well and they even had the name of the judge up.  Don't ask me who it was now, I forgot to take a picture of her sign.    I love the rainbow colors in this one!  Things that just POP off the quilt really catch my eye

I tried to get the names, but by the time I down load the pictures then transfer them to the blog...I'm not so sure you can read them.  I love this one with the reproduction fabrics!!

This one was amazing.  Looks simple, but go up close and there was an amazing amount of stitching in the leaves.

Can you see in the white and red leaves?  So much detail.

The hand work in this one was super.  I used to do embroidery before I started quilting.

This was so cute!  Lots of work in each block. 

This has been published and I remember looking at it.  But up close!  there is so much detail in every single part!!! 

Three-D stuff in every corner and the top has waves in fabric.  If you ever get a chance to stand in front of this one, take time to just look! 

There was a challenge where they pick 2 crayons and could add a third color to make a small piece.  The designs were creative and delightful!

They have the crayons in the baggies.

Nice Hawaiian design on a pieced background!

This is the technique with cutouts folded back.  Very clever!  I do want to try that someday...


The amount of thread in this one is unreal.  His pants are blue background, but it's totally sewn over to make the highlights.  I'm surprised that didn't get a ribbon.

My camera didn't get the colors exactly right.  But on a black curtain without a flash, it did ok.  There was a lot more royal blue in it.  I love this bargello.  Another one on my list of things to make one day!

This one could be easily overlooked, but it was very, very interesting!  Simple boxes of all different sizes with something in each box!  Colors are balanced and put together well.  I really like this one!

Nice to see Hawaiian ones getting blue ribbons in Tennessee! 

This is just too cute!

A bird of paradise!  Nice the way it more than fills out the quilt.

Soft colors with exact piecing!  Not easy with those thin pieces!

This bear is adorable!  It was velvet fabric, sewn on there very loosely!  Just wonderful!

Here's an interesting way to make a double wedding ring!  And it so deserved the blue ribbon! 

Here's the detail shot.  I loved this one, not just because it's blue...but it was so beautiful.

This Halloween quilt had so much applique details!  I just loved the little owls in it!

Another Hawaiian design takes a ribbon!!!

This one I want to make!  You can see the spools very well.  I hadn't noticed that the one in the bottom corner was tipped!  It is so pretty!

Another challenge there had fabric that was the colors of peacocks.  The pictures don't do them justice.

This eagle was so realistic!

Just a gorgeous design!

Best one!  I can see why!

The 2 love birds!!!

And this one had so much going on in the middle with 3-d fabric exploding out!
 
Going to shows always gets my designing juices flowing!  There is so much that can be done with fabric.  Following a pattern...well, you know exactly what you will have in the end.  And I did pick up a couple of patterns up there.  I use them as the diving board.  I don't make exactly what is there.  Mine always take a flip or turn and then it's "mine".  You just have to trust your instinct and go with it!  Now plenty of my things have just gone badly...but you learn that is not the way to do something.  Sounds silly, but remember when you were learning how to drive?  You might have made a few mistakes along the way?  Parallel  parking?  Never use that much any ways, but you had to try.  So try new things and see what it brings. 
 
Before it you will be making your own designs that others might want to know, "how did you do that?"  Fun!  And then you see people either copying it, or doing a variation.  I figure if they can copy mine....more power to them!  I'm having fun!  Maybe I should put out a book... but that would take time away from the actual sewing! 
 
So cut, sew, play.  Then if you don't like it...cut it up some more and add something else to it!  You never know what can happen!
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment