Castles in Moonlight

Castles in Moonlight
Have plenty more castles!

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Getting more done around here.

This one is all quilted!  It's the Hawaiian flag. 

In the flag, the quilting looks like the flag is waving, and there are whales swimming!  Did blue thread in the white, and white thread in the red and blue stripes.

In the center part, did echo quilting aroung all the applique.  Turned out really, really nice!

Now I'm basting!  I made 2 tops with similar blocks and just set them in differently. 

Here's the first one.  Looks more like plaid.  The other one, I seem to have forgotten to take a picture!  But the smaller blocks run in diagonal lines in the quilt.

Now I'm basting this "modern" quilt.  Not sure how I will quilt it yet.  But the table was cleared off enough that I could baste up the smaller quilts.  I get several basted and ready to take to bee every week.  They don't get done as fast, but they do get done.
 
I wasn't feeling good all weekend.  But I did get packages wrapped and ready to mail.  Got a few other things done, but not a lot of energy.  So Monday, I went and worked out.  Dragged my butt there.  Then stood in line at the post office for 30 minutes to mail packages... then got in at the dr's office.  Waited until 11:30 for the 10:45 appointment.  I have a UTI.... could barely pee in the cup.  Wonder if that could stand for Ulterior motive infection.  Nay...I was trying to laugh at myself. 
 
The med that she gave me is pretty strong.  So I'm only basting today.  Fortunately I don't have to do much, so I'll eat chicken soup for lunch and take a nap.  I hate being sick.  This one is all inside and just makes you miserable.  I'd rather be picking out fabric for something else to start.  But if I did that now, no telling how bad it would end up.
 
So?  Do you only start projects when you are in a certain frame of mind?  Only good frame of mind?  It's easy to start something for a new baby or graduation, or wedding.  But if you don't feel good and still want to sew, what do you do?
 
I read a story in a quilt magazine a long time ago, when they used to put in stories about quilters, and this one woman dyed all her award winning quilts black.  Now this was set in a time when they had the great big kettles outside and you had to fill them with water and light a fire under them once a week to wash clothes.  Her husband died and she dyed the quilts black.  I guess now that I'm older and older members of my family have died, I understand it better than when I was in my late 20's.  I still don't think I would do that, but it would be a while before I could work with bright colors. 
 
Sorry for being so dreary just before Christmas.  Hubby is at work and I'm dragging around the house.  Still have more presents to finish wrapping up.  this better be over by next week!!!!  I love being happy and making things, so one out of two today is still good.
 
Don't work too hard these holidays.  They are for enjoying and seeing people.  If you don't get everything done on that long list, it's ok!  In the end everything will be alright.  If it's not alright, then it's not the end!
Patty

2 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better by Thursday! As for your questions about starting things, I can start something any time, just for fun or when I have a free afternoon. But I need a deadline to actually finish something. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty there is no law that says you have to be cheerful at Xmas. My dad passed away 11/5/14 after I went to my guild meeting and I stopped to see him. Just roll with the tide and keep positive people around you. Works for me.

    Sue McKelvy

    ReplyDelete