Castles in Moonlight

Castles in Moonlight
Have plenty more castles!

Monday, September 29, 2014

Feeling better after going to the Asheville quilt show!

First of all, I was feeling so badly 2 weekends ago, that Terry sent me flowers!

The colors are so wonderful!!!  Did cheer me up!

The Asheville quilt show is about 3 hours from Oak Ridge.  Gloria and I went up there in the morning and spent all afternoon there.  This was best of show.  My camera makes it look red...it was a deep purple.  Not sure why it did that, but maybe it was the lighting. 

This is by Linda Cantrel!  She always did the mini little people and scenes!  What a difference! 
 
Circles were the big, and I mean BIG thing this time.  So many quilts had them either the main focus, or something in the background. 

This was an outstanding quilt.  I can't seem to get in all the quilting.  And most quilts are machine quilted.

Loretta's on the left... the rocks were interesting.  The show was really set up nicely.

This quilted piece didn't look great up close, but in the camera, this looks painted. 

I just love the vibrations in this one. 

An amazing quilt.  Great applique work.   

The rails were quilted and interwoven.  The leaves were one piece of fabric.  Very interesting!  At least the art category is getting well judged!

Modern quilts were well represented too.

This was a fantastic circle quilt.  I love it. 

This is "Fire Light".  Does look like a campfire burning.  Very clever.

Modern with plenty of extra quilting.

I think this was a challenge.  Love the piano keys running through it.

Blue winner in the modern quilts.

This was all done with the pointiest fabrics.

I have this pattern at home and really want to do at least one chicken!!!  They are so cute!

And there's my sheep in the kid's category.  Now the blue ribbon winner in this category was about 15" x 20".  Does that sound like a quilt that kids would use.  It had a tremendous amount of things on the back of a turtle.  Oh, well... I get to keep my Happy Sheep!

And the dragon fly quilt was so much better than this picture.
 
I love the Asheville show.  They really do get many, many excellent quilts in there.  Vendors are great, yes, I came home with new fabrics that I haven't seen anywhere else.  We stopped at the one DQ in Canton...what a mess!  Their ice cream machine was sending out melted ice cream in blobs and farts.  It was going all over the place.  Guess the kids who know how to take care of things are all back in school.   To me, it's now a trip to a quilt show up there without DQ!!!  Bummer.  The closest one to us is a 36 mile round trip....just for ice cream?  I'll go to the store tomorrow and get some.
 
So enter local contests at least.  It is fun to go there and see your own work hanging up.  Everybody that I told which quilt was mine, knew it right away!  That means a lot to me!
 
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment