Castles in Moonlight

Castles in Moonlight
Have plenty more castles!

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Ok, I have hit the buttons differently and found pictures that I'm not sure I have posted!  I was trying to get more shots from the quilt show up... but here are a few that I have worked on!  This one was in a contest from Spain.  I bought a hand painted silk panel and had to reconstruct it.  Shipping it back and forth was the hardest part!  But with a huge help from my friend Joni, it got there and back.  It also got a third place in our local show.
This was a commission work.  It was gorgeous!  Loved working on it.
This is one cabinet of fabric in my sewing room.  There are double stacks on each shelf... one behind the front. 
This was a small wallhanging done in the Hawaiian style.
This is a panel that I added the Japaness fabrics to the sides and hand quilted.  (Old quilt room before the remodel!) 
 
So I'm trying to learn to do more on the computor...and I will be making more mistakes.  But if I don't try...... then I won't get any better.    So keep your fingers crossed that I don't loose all this information.
 
I started another bag and it's coming along nicely.  Had to get more velcro.  That has gone up in price since I got it last time!  Supplies are expensive.  I remember a good friend of mine, and this was about 20 years ago, she asked "what will we do when fabric gets up to $8 a yard?!"  Well, we can cut up and use what we have!  And it's over that price now!  When I travel I do go into many shops.  I probably buy more fabric when I'm on vacations.  The prices really do vary drastically.  The best and most "reasonable" prices are in Maine!  Nice shop.... have to ask my sister the name of that one again.  She and I go up there every time I go visit.  The last time I went (last June), the prices were $3.99 to 4.99....happy dance!
 
When I go to England to visit my in laws, the prices over there are sooooo much higher.  Used to be $25 a yard.  So forget buying over there.  Now you know why their clothes are so expensive also.  When they used to come visit, they would go crazy buying clothes and fabrics.  Always needed the extra suitcase for going back.!
 
So cut up the fabrics and enjoy them.  Doreen Speckman used to say, "Use more than one fabric for the background.  Use 25, you know you have them!  Then if you run out of one, you can add another and make it 26....but if you only use one, then you are really stuck if you run out!"  Ain't that the truth!  I also feel fine about taking alittle from each piece and then you have lots left of each one.  I now have a tendancy to pull out the coordinating fabrics and make several quilts of that color grouping at one time.  Why not!
 
You can also work in a series.  Take the idea and try alittle something different 2 or 3 or 4 times.  That is fun. 
 
Well, it's time to rest my eyes and get ready for Project Runway.  Love to see what they come up with.  Don't like the bickering.  Silly Rabbit... Just make the clothes and get along.  I need to make a new vest or two to go with these bags I have been working on!!! 
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment