Castles in Moonlight

Castles in Moonlight
Have plenty more castles!

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Finished the table runner!  Yes!!!  I love it.  It's in a box ready to be shipped.  I know, you need to stand on your head to see it....

Here's a better shot, but not the whole thing.  Love the feathers in the white part.

And finished this one in the frame!!!  Extra dancing allowed!!!  Need to contact this owner and have him come get it....

Close up Mr. DeVille....

Here's the next project.  Lots and lots of little pieces....

See?  You keep sewing and sewing and then you add....

more pieces until you get squares.  6 1/2" blocks.  And then you can.....

Put them up on your design wall over your current project.  This will keep you working on this one until you get done!

And a closer shot to show you all the block piecing that I have done in the last day and a half.    It's very gentle colors so it's easy to work on.  But alot of the blocks have diffinit direction to them, so you have to be very careful when sewing them together.
 
So?  It's a "big-deal" holiday?  My Dad always said that you are supposed to work twice as hard on labor day.  Sound like we ever had a cookout then?  Nope.  We had ski lodges and resorts when I was growing up.  My brother was always at boy scout camp in the summers.  My sister would get to go to riding camp some summers.  They told me that they ran out of money, so there was no camp for me... and I had to work at the lodge all summer.  I guess it made me a better person.  I also had a Vermont Transit Bus Pass and would go to Springfield (from Ludlow) to spend time with my friends.  Where there's a will, you can find a way to go have fun.  As long as I left a note, that was supposed to be ok.  But sometimes, Mom had expected me to be around to help out, and I would be out of town.  She would be mad at me!  Made me more independent.  I didn't get into trouble, but I sure needed breaks once in a while from that all working summers!  I really did work every day.  And if someone didn't show up for work, I was filling in and not always getting paid.  I waitressed at lunch time and filled in for the pool snack bar on the other day off.  Worked in the kitchen on friday and saturday nights.  Salad Girl... dished up the appetizers, salads and desserts for 3 seatings each night, and they could seat up to 150 people each seating....then I went downstairs and cocktail waitressing in the bar when I was old enough.  No days off.... 
 
Mom and Dad sold the lodge and the house when my brother finished with a 4 year college, I finished with a 2 year college, and my sister finished high school and went on to college.  Mom and Dad bought a Winnebago and left.  I looked at it as a release from my shackles!  My sister thought she was being abandoned.  My brother was married and moved to Nebraska!  I started working enough to pay my bills and would save to take the summer off! 
 
I did move around....I had to have a combination of 3 things to move.  a job lined up, a place to live, or a friend there to help me out....any combination of those and I was gone.  It took me to live in Spain for 5 months, Hawaii for about a year, Massachusetts a couple of times, and finally Florida on and off for about 6 years.  All before I was married.  I did enjoy the travel and seeing places.  I couldn't afford a big vacation, but if you live somewhere and work, you get to know the local people and the local places to go.  It's way better!  I can't do that now.  I own too much stuff to ship and move with!  And I don't sleep on the floor or couch anymore.  Too old a back!  Need a good mattress! 
 
There's still plenty of places that I want to go see.  And I will go to many of them.  But I will always come back to my fabric stash and make quilts here!
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment