Castles in Moonlight

Castles in Moonlight
Have plenty more castles!

Monday, August 6, 2012

I'm Back!  We went out of town for the weekend to get out heads back together!  When you live with a geologist, you go see things that have to do with rocks.  It is interesting.  We did go to the Heart to Heart quilt shop in Trussville.  It was nice.  Glad we could go see that.  This museum was very interesting.  Doesn't get much credit, and it did have a lot to do with the Civil War. 

Here's a small steam engine that was used way back when....

And some Civil War items on display.

The designs of the things used so long ago are fasinating to me.  They didn't have computers to figure all these things out.  Love the balance of the parts in the middle.

Huge containers for the melted iron...

Big machines to make other machine parts.  OSHA would gringh at these old machines. 

Tannehill ironworks is in the park.  This place looked like a castle!

It was wonderful... Made in the 1800's.

There's Terry!

This is behind it.  The stones were so big...

This is where the water wheel power was used.

From a different angle.  Castle comes to my mind!  Love this. 

I can see quilts that could come out of things.   The old rusty parts could be used for "rusting" fabrics!

Then we walked around the mall... and the Leggo's were having a building contest.  Making a village.

Over at the motorcycle museum!  Love all the art work there!

And the famous motorcycle from Easy Rider!  Tomorrow, I'll put up more pictures from our trip.  We took our time looking at the museum.  Then on Sunday we got to drive.  The day was set up with driving autocrosses set up in the parking lots, a skid pad!  and driving on the track.  We were worn out!  Stayed an extra night.  We have driven home the same day and were exhausted before getting home.  So this time we got home and I had an appointment at 1pm.   Still have another load of clothes to get out of the dryer... but I'm so glad we took this fun trip. 

Didn't take quilting with me, but ended up with 2 new books.  Love to find those.  Did take 4 magazines with me and never got them out.  When you have been out in that heat and humidity all day, you just can't focus your eyes on anything.

We had so much fun at the track.  We got to take the Cayenne's out into the woods.  When ever they asked for the driver...I jumped right into the cars!  Why not!  So I got to drive up hills, down very steep hill, and through the water... Daniel said it was 6 feet deep... no it wasn't, but I wasn't sure.  It was really muddy.  He was the instructor.  And he could get a job as a comedian.  Got us all laughing!!!  On the track, we got serious.  I can keep up with the guys.  Terry road with me and helped me by telling me when to brake and when to hit the gas.  It's tricky to hit every mark and keep the race line... and then keep up the speed.  Don't ask me how fast we go... not enough time to look at the dash to see.  You have to be looking ahead all the time! 

At the end of the day, the instructors take people for rides on the track.  And we thought we were going fast!  Noope!  They can go twice as fast as us and that's not the racing speeds.  I didn't go with them.  I just don't want to throw up at the end of a wonderful day!  Yuck. 

It was so hot.  But we found shade and they had cold water everywhere.  Lunch was great BBQ pork and all the fixin's, including 4 kinds of cream pies.  Love that place!  It was put on by 5 Porsche dealerships from Tennessee!  What has your dealership done for you?  Need to check out Harper's in Knoxville, TN!  All we ever got from any others was a keychain.....

Well, reality is back.  I'm better.  The week for me, starts tomorrow.  But my head will be going around the track for a few more days.

Farroooooom! 
Patty!

No comments:

Post a Comment