Castles in Moonlight

Castles in Moonlight
Have plenty more castles!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Ok, now you can see the finished piece!  I love the colors!  When I start working on a new piece, I pull out the fabrics that I have.  If I run out, then I have to use something else.  I don't go around hunting down fabrics.  That is a lot of time and gas used up.  So I buy fabrics when I see them.  The questions is always, how much do you get?  Well, if you like it a lot, buy a lot.  If you only sort of like it, buy less.  I don't usually get fat quarters.  I like to get at least 1 yard.  If I like it, then 3 yards.  If it's (cheap) reasonably priced, then 5 or 6 yards.  You have backing then. 

Here's a couple of close ups of the hand quilting.  I did different designs all over this piece.

Mostly drew around circles to make up designs.  Need to be different!

When I start a quilt and have pulled out all color coordinating fabrics, it's so easy to make 2 or 3 tops out of the same fabrics.  You'll have plenty there.  If the colors are exciting, go with it!  When you run out, add another color or two... yellow is supposed to be a "transitional" color.  I think it adds the sparkle or pop.  You don't need much yellow because your eye will go right for it!  Though I have seem quilts where that is the predominate color, and it's BRIGHT!  Yea!  Go for it. 

I make quilts for fun and enjoyment.  I tried to make them to "win" ribbons and shows.  I actually do better with the ones that I have fun making!  If I don't win, who really cares!  I do want people to see that I'm still hand quilting.  It is my business.  If I do win, it really is a thrill for me.  I love seeing a ribbon on my quilt and stand near it to hear the comments.  So watch what you say at a show!  Other quilters do that too. 

It takes alot of time and energy to make every quilt.  You may not like their colors or design, but the makers did.  And every quilt can be cuddled or hung on the wall and enjoyed.  I wish the quilters wouldn't be so quick to point out their "mistakes" or what they don't like about their own work.  Honestly, if you don't point that out, no one will notice!  My father in law used to say, "From a galloping horse, no one will see it." 

A good quilt in a show will have the "Double Wow" effect.  The first one is when you see it across the room and you go WOW!....and it draws you over to it.  Then you have your nose a few inches away from it and you go ....wow..... the design from a distance, and the detail up close.  A lot of quilts don't photograph well... so either get someone who knows how to do that, and listen to what they do.  Or hire someone who has experience photographing quilts.  Lighting needs to come from an angle to highlight the stitching.  A flash can "wash out" the quilting and make it look flat.

Ok!  There's several hints about quilting for you!  I'm getting back into quilting mode.  Need to get ready to leave the house.  There is a estate sale downtown that I want to check out! 
Patty (It's 7:55am....still can't fix that damned clock.)

3 comments:

  1. Your quilting is beautiful!!! I'd love to have you become a part of the writers for the blog "celebrate Hand Quilting." Come visit us at http://celebratehandquilting.blogspot.com and let me know if you'd like to join us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is a wonderful piece. I love the colours and the design

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Patty. You're quilt turned out drop-dead gorgeous! I also liked what you said about the "double wow effect".
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete